Friday 24 July 2009

Jury Out In Steven Gerrard Trial

The jury in the Steven Gerrard trial has retired to consider its verdict.

The Liverpool FC captain is accused of attacking Marcus McGee, 34, after a row over music in a bar.

Yesterday Gerrard apologised for lashing out at Mr McGee, but denied losing control in the confrontation.

The 29-year-old was with friends at the Lounge Inn in Southport, Merseyside, in the early hours of December 29 when they clashed with the businessman, who was with another group of people.

The prosecution alleges the English footballer punched Mr McGee "with the style and speed of a professional boxer".

Gerrard denies affray and says he was acting in self-defence, as he believed Mr McGee was about to attack him.

He told the court: "I couldn't understand why the guy had such a problem with me, why he was so aggressive.

"I was also concerned that if I did leave it I would not have been able to enjoy my night, he may have come over to me.

"Very quickly he came off the bar stool and was in my face right by me."

Five of Gerrard's friends have already admitted affray.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...